Sep 27, 2015

The final day of marching band

The homecoming game was on Friday. We went to pep band before hand, we got there at 6pm and warmed up in the band room for half an hour and then went out to Dosier Field. It's always really crowded in the stands because there are so many pep band members and not a lot of space marked off just for us. Plus, the seniors like to stand right next to us and they squeeze in like sardines. And with me playing flute, being shoulder to shoulder with someone isn't the ideal way to play. Every time I tried to move, I would hit someone in the head with my flute. 

Anyways, we survived the first quarter of the football game, and then we had to get ready for the half time show. When Mr. Taylor told us we could leave, Whitney, Danielle, Emma, Syscilia, and I raced down the bleachers and ran back to the music hall in the high school. I tried to get in my uniform as fast as I could, but I was so nervous that my hands were shaking. I grabbed my hat and my flute and raced outside forgetting my plume. I started panicking because I hadn't put my hair up in the bun on top of my head yet. We have this policy in marching band that is kind of unspoken. It's I'll scratch your back if you'll scratch mine. So Danielle went inside to get me a plume, and Syscilia helped me put my hair up. We went through our warm ups and tuned as a section. Then, Jake(our drum major) gave us a pep talk before we walked out onto the track. 


The football game was still going on so we waited on the gate, the skeleton band(the pep band without the marching band) was still playing so we all sang along to the tunes that were being played. And then, it was time. We walked over to our positions off of the field and we stood at attention until everyone was ready. Joe tapped us off and we walked onto the field. Jake stepped on the ladder, counted us off, and then we began. It was really fast. I was surprised that I didn't slip or trip and make a fool out of myself. It felt amazing having all of those people cheering you on and being able to perform as a group. Even if rehearsals were long, and we were out in the sun, and even if we did rehears 5 hours of marching band on my birthday, it was worth it in the end. 


After we came off the field, we skipped back to the band room and got out of our uniform. We went back out to the football game right as 3rd quarter was starting, and we had fun for the rest of the football game. In the end the Park City Miners ended up winning against Stansbury High School at our homecoming game. We played our hearts out and I hope everyone enjoyed our music. Sorry for posting so late, but I had stuff to do. I know... I have stuff to do, thats a first.

Picture courtesy of deviantart.com

1 comment: