![]() |
| Picture courtesy of here |
We left a little while after that, I luckily found a pair of pants and a blouse in the tower bathroom and Marc went back outside to check out around the tower. When I was done changing, I walked down the many flights of stairs to the ground. When I walked out of the door, I saw the outside for the first time in in apparently 100 years. It was mid day and autumn, the leaves on the trees were brilliant shades of red, yellow, and orange. The sky was grey with the smell of rain in the air, but I couldn’t tell if the storm was coming or going because there was an enormous thorn bush surrounding the tower on all sides. Marc was nowhere to be seen. Maybe he changed his mind and left me? I started circling around the tower when I felt a hand on my shoulder. I grabbed it before it could pull away and twisted it to the point that if the owner of the hand moved, their arm would break.
“Will you cut that out!” Mark cries. I let go of his arm.
“Seriously, you need to work on not injuring people so much” He says.
“And you need to work on not sneaking up on people, this is the second time I’ve injured you.”
“Yea well who’s fault is that?”
“Now you’re blaming me for defending myself? I didn’t know it was you, It could have been a random psychopath trying to kill me.”
“You’re very paranoid for a person who was sleeping in a tower with an unlocked door.”
“What are you talking about? Merryweather would have locked the door. Unless…”
Crap I slipped. Let’s hope he didn’t know who that was.
“Who’s Merryweather?”
“No one important right now.”
What was important, was making sure that my identity stayed a secret, I had already had too many slip ups and this was to a farmers boy, though to keep him safe I couldn’t tell him who I was either.
“How did you even get in here?,” I ask “ I don’t see a path in this prickly overgrown shrub.”
“It’s not really a path, but if we’re careful, we should be able to get through over there.”
He pointed to the other side of the clearing where I could see a small hole in the thorns. We walked over to the hole, which was only as tall as me. Marc had to duck his head, but lead the way into the barb filled forest. The farther we walked, the darker it got. At the point where we couldn’t see two feet in front of us, Marc pulled out a torch but that was the only time we stopped to rest.
“Haven’t we been here before?” I ask
“How can you tell if we’ve been here before, it all looks the same to me.” he replied
“So you don’t know where you’re going?”
“Well not exactly, to be honest I kind of just stumbled into the clearing on accident.”
“So what you’re saying is that I have been following a blind idiot for the past hour and a half?”
“Hey! I was pretty sure I could get us out of here.”
“Yea and now it’s getting dark, we have no idea who or what’s out here, and we’re completely lost.”
“Well when you put it that way…”
“Ugh, just let me lead the way, I can probably get us out of here.”
“And how are you going to do that?” I could feel my anger rising towards the surface, but I couldn't let myself slip.
“I grew up in a cottage in the woods” is all I said which technically wasn't a lie.
“Okay, lead the way, princess” I stiffened.
“What? You don’t like being called princess?”
Want to read more? Just click here

No comments:
Post a Comment